Hello there – I’m Kerry.
The mom of two girls – ages 11 and 13.
Like most parents, I want my girls to live fulfilling lives. To feel love and happiness. To be self-starters and dreamers.
And most of all – to grow up to be self-sufficient.
It’s not that I want them out of the house – I love my kids more than anything and would hold them close all day long if they’d let me.
But I remember when I was first starting out on my own. Living in the city. Holding down my first job.
Trying to be an adult but still feeling a bit like a kid.
It was HARD.
But despite the fears that overwhelmed me at times or the moments when I thought my life wouldn’t amount to anything, there were two things growing inside of me – independence and confidence.
And that was priceless.
So as much as I wish I could pave a path that would magically lead my kids to the perfect life at age 18, I know life isn’t about easy. Sometimes life is about hard.
Learning how to roll up one’s sleeves and get to work, learning how to think for oneself, learning how to deal with failure and adversity.
I want that for my kids. I want them to feel as empowered as they can be. I want them to feel how I did – both fearful and confident. I want them to feel like they can get through this thing called life on their own.
And don’t get me wrong – I don’t have all the answers. My parenting is still a work in progress. I’m still testing to see what works and what doesn’t. Attempting to hold back on my impulses to hoover or wrap my kids in bubble wrap at the first sign of distress.
Are you also on a quest to raise independent, self-sufficient kids but don’t know how to get started? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered…
Here on Self-Sufficient Kids you can expect to find:
- A parenting philosophy that’s not quite free-range but certainly not helicopter
- Specific tips and information on how to teach kids the skills they need (See my list of 15 skills here)
- Advice on how to help you find a balance between supporting kids but not taking over their lives
- And a lot more…
More about me:
For the past five years I’ve managed Self-Sufficient Kids.
Before beginning this site, I worked for ten years in market research, including three years at a Fortune 100 company.
- Have a degree in economics
- Received my MBA in 2006
- Obtained a Certificate in Financial Planning from Boston University
- Have read over 30 books on positive parenting, raising independent kids, and education. (See my book list here)
- Serve on the board of an independent school for kids ages 15 months – 8th grade
- Been featured in the following publications: Huffington Post, Motherly (formerly Parent.co), Sheknows Media
Understanding children and teaching them the life skills they need to be successful in life has become my passion. I’m always interested in learning more to help, not only my own children, but all children reach their full potential.
More about Self-Sufficient Kids:
- Established in 2015
- Facebook followers: 85,900
- Instagram followers: 29,300
- Pinterest followers: 17,220
- Twitter followers: 1,870